*blubbers for hours*
(formerly jaablondiee and frecklesfoust)
Brain injury can result from various things:
- head trauma from car accidents
- stroke (when an artery in the brain ruptures)
- anoxia (loss of oxygen supply to brain)
- poisoning (binge drinking)
A coma is when a patient cannot be roused. The body continues to exhibit reactions however. For example, in coma patients, reflexes such as gagging and pupil contraction retain present. This means that atleast the unconscious circuitry in the brain is working.
A coma can lead to 4 things
- Fast Recovery: exactly what it sounds like, the patient is conscious once more
- Vegetative State: there is no responsiveness, although the patient can now exhibit complex reflexes such as yawning and eye movements. The patient might even smile, cry or frown with no obvious cause. Neurologists consider this behavior reflexive, as the spinal cord may generate involuntary movements
- Locked In Syndrome: a condition in which a patient is aware but cannot move or communicate verbally due to complete paralysis of nearly all voluntary muscles in the body except for the eyes
- Brain death: total absence of brain stem reflexes. There is a flat EEG line and the patient can’t breathe. Neurons start to degenerate quickly and melt away. Currently this step is irreversible. Most countries identify brain death with death.
A vegetative step can lead to two things
- Minimally conscious state: characterized by some evidence of awareness of self and/or the environment. During some periods they can maintain control of their actions. They can respond to a verbal order and follow a mirror with their eye. Their behavior can be variable. Some days they will show signs of being aware and others days not at all.
- Permanent Vegetative State: implies lack of recovery and a prolonged vegetative state. In rare cases there will be conscious but uncommunicating patients. See below.
SOURCE: Consciousness & The Brain by Stanislas Dehaene
"It’s so easy to forget that the person you’re looking at is a human being. We’re all just as complex, misunderstood and real as each other. So I encourage you to try and be more aware of when you’re being very judgmental. And try to remember that we’re all just human fucking beings, trying to be happy and trying to find a purpose in the world. Our society has just become this rude, shitty, detached bunch of people. It’s so hard to find empathy these days. Especially online, oh forget about online."
Reasons why Anna Akana is my favorite (Video)